Location:Newburgh, New York
John Ingrassia is a partner in the law firm of Larkin, Ingrassia & Tepermayster, LLP where he practices criminal defense law. Approximately 50 percent of his practice involves defending individuals accused of operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol. He has successfully defended numerous individuals charged with Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) related offenses at trial, suppression hearings, on appeal, as well as at Department of Motor Vehicle administrative hearings. Mr. Ingrassia has served as a lecturer on DWI defense related Continuing Legal Education programs given to other attorneys on behalf of the New York State Bar Association as well as local bar associations. In addition, he has been a guest speaker on behalf of the New York State Office of Court Administration training Judges on DWI related issues.
Mr. Ingrassia has defended thousands of individuals accused of crimes. He has successfully defended a number of high profile cases and his clients have included judges, attorneys, police officers, physicians as well as other individuals of various backgrounds. He has tried numerous cases to verdict before both Juries and Judges and he has obtained not guilty verdicts on a variety of charges including the following: DWI, Manslaughter, Criminally Negligent Homicide, Attempted Murder, Rape, Sexual Abuse, Unlawful Imprisonment, Assault, Resisting Arrest, Criminal Possession of Weapon, Defrauding the Government, Conspiracy, Official Misconduct and numerous other charges.
Mr. Ingrassia is also an accomplished appellate attorney having successfully argued appeals in a variety of appellate courts in this state including the New York State Court of Appeals.
He is a former Law Assistant to the New York State Supreme Court Appellate Division 3rd Judicial Department in Albany, N.Y. and he served as an Assistant District Attorney in the Orange County District Attorney’s Office in Goshen, N.Y.
Mr. Ingrassia graduated with honors from Saint Bonaventure University and also graduated with honors from Syracuse University College of Law.
He is a past president of the Orange County Bar Association and served as a Delegate to the New York State Bar Association’s House of Delegates. Mr Ingrassia is currently a member of the New York State, Orange County and Middletown Bar Associations and he is a member of the Board of Directors of the Orange County Legal Aid Society. He is also a former member (2007-2015, term expired) of the Attorney Grievance Committee for the Ninth Judicial District.
Mr Ingrassia is a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and the New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. He is also a member of the New York State Defenders Association.
He is admitted to practice law in New York State as well as the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York and the Northern District of New York.
DWI on Trial, New York State Bar Association, NYC, NY
The Big Apple X 2010
The Big Apple VIII 2008
The Big Apple VI 2006
The Big Apple III 2003
DWI – Defend with Ingenuity, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Las Vegas, NV, 1999, 2002, 2004.
Winning the Battle of the Experts, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, San Francisco, CA, 2007.
The Masters – Advanced Trial Techniques, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, NY, NY, 2000.
Areas of Practice
- 100% Criminal Defense
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- New York, 1989
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1995
- Syracuse University College of Law, Syracuse, New York
- J.D. cum laude
- St. Bonaventure University, Olean, New York
- B.A. cum laude
- Major: Social Science
- Guest Lecturer, Strategy & Tactics in Defending a DWI Case from Inception to Conclusion, NYS Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Syracuse University College of Law, 2017
- Guest Lecturer, DWI Related Issues, NYS Bar Association
- Guest Lecturer, DWI Related Issues, NYS Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and NYS Office of Court Administration
- New York DWI Update – What You Need to Know, Newburgh, NY, 2010
- Defending Against a Drug Recognition Expert in a Driving While Ability Impaired by Drugs Case, NYSACDL, Poughkeepsie, NY, 2008 – Present
- Handling a DWI Case in New York, New York State Bar Association, 2006 – 2008
- Developments on DWI Laws, New York State Office of Court Administration, 2007 – Present
- DWI Related Issues, New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Suffern, NY, 2007 – Present
- The Low Budget & No Budget Defense of a DWI Case, NYSACDL, Syracuse, NY, 2007 – Present
- Trial of a DWI Case, Dutchess County Bar Association, Poughkeepsie, NY, 2007 – Present
Honors and Awards
- Named as America’s Top 100 Criminal Defense Attorneys®, 2018 – Present
- Lifetime Achievement selection to America’s Top 100 Attorneys®, 2016 – Present
- Named by Super Lawyers Magazine as One of the Top Attorneys in New York, 2008 – 2018
- Named by Super Lawyers Magazine as one of the Top 25 Attorneys in Hudson Valley, 2013
- Named by The National Trial Lawyers as One of the Top 100 Trial Attorneys in New York State, 2011-2016
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- New York State Defenders Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association
- Middletown Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association, President, 2003 – 2004
- Orange County Bar Association, Past President
- NYS Bar Association House of Delegates, Former Delegate
- NYS Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and Office of Court, Guest lecturer for DWI related issues for NYS Bar Association
- Co-Authored, “Preparing a DUI Defense”, a Comprehensive Overview on Defending Individuals Accused of DUI
- Co-Authored, “Preparing a DUI Defense”, a Practical Guide for Defending DUI Cases
Past Employment Positions
- New York State Supreme Court Appellate Division, Third Department, Law Assistant, 1988 – 1989
- Orange County District Attorneys Office, Assistant District Attorney, 1989 – 1993