Derek S. Andrews
Location: Newburgh, New York
Derek S. Andrews brings years of courtroom and trial experience to the criminal defense department of Larkin Ingrassia, PLLC. As an Associate Attorney in the firm’s Newburgh office, Derek is responsible for crafting unique defense strategies for clients facing criminal charges ranging from the simplest of offenses to the most complex. He has spent the majority of his time in the courtroom fighting for his clients, and he has taken numerous cases to verdict before juries. Derek regularly spends his time researching developments in the law and incorporating new knowledge into his practice so that he can better represent his clients.
In the community, Derek is an elected board member of the New York State Association for Criminal Defense Lawyers (NYSACDL), an organization that is responsible for supporting the efforts of criminal defense attorneys throughout the entire state. He also serves a member of NYSACDL’s Legislative Committee by reviewing proposed criminal procedure and penal laws in the New York Senate and Assembly and then advocating for or against the passage of those laws. He is also an active member of the New York State Bar Association (NYSBA) and National College of DUI Defense (NCDD).
His educational background includes a Bachelor’s Degree from Western New Mexico University and a Juris Doctor from Syracuse University College of Law, as well as an extensive trial training seminar with the New York State Bar Association. He is also in the midst of completing a three-year-long DWI Defense Institute, available to attorneys in the upper echelon of DWI practice. Derek has been sought after for comments on DWI and criminal defense-related issues in several articles published by USA Today-College Edition, Business Insider, and Reader’s Digest. He has also been invited to lecture on jury selection, cross-examination skills, the effects of DWI on the community, and negotiation skills and client counseling in the field of criminal defense.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Defense
- DWI/DUI Defense
Percentage of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- New York State Courts – 2013
- United States District Court for the NDNY – 2013
- United States District Court for the SDNY – 2018
- United States District Court for the WDNY – 2018
- Syracuse University College of Law
- Juris Doctor – 2012
- Western New Mexico University
- B.S. History – 2009
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2016-2023
- Highest peer-reviewed rating of AV Preeminent and Gold Client Champion on Martindale Hubbell, a 3rd party attorney rating website
- 10.0 out of 10.0 on AVVO, a 3rd party attorney rating website
- New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- National College of DUI Defense
- New York State Bar Association