Your case matters. We commit our full resources and attention to a successful result.

Custodial parent child support Q and A

Those who have questions about child support in New York may not know exactly where to turn. Thankfully, there are numerous resources available that address this topic. This column will address some of the common questions and concerns that custodial parents, in particular, may have about child support and support services.

What is child support? Child support is simply providing financially for one’s children. Non-custodial parents may be ordered to make payments, provide health insurance or provide money for child care. The amount ordered, which typically lasts until the child is 21 years of age, will be determined based upon the needs of the child, the number of children being supported and the parent’s income.

Any parent or guardian who is in need of support can access child support services. What services are offered by the state? Services include paternity establishment, locating non-custodial parents, support collection and enforcement — among various others. One’s legal counsel can also assist with some of these issues, particularly when it comes to obtaining orders of support and modifications.

When child support is desired, a petition must be filed in a New York Family Court. If an order has previously been approved and a modification is needed, again the proper requests must be made in court. Fighting for orders of support or modifications is not necessarily easy. Having legal counsel on one’s side throughout the process may prove highly beneficial to one’s case, and can help produce results that are in everyone’s best interests — particularly those of the affected children.

Source: childsupport.ny.gov, “Custodial Parent Information”, Accessed on March 23, 2016

Important Information

COVID-19 (Novel Corona Virus)  Update 3-20-2020

By order of Governor Andrew Cuomo, beginning 3-22-2020, all non-essential business in New York state must close their physical offices in response to the rapid rate of positive reported cases of COVID-19 in New York State.

Although this will impact the in office and in person services that LIT can provide, we will still be working remotely from our homes to serve our existing clients and we will continue to serve the public on a remote basis with any new legal matters for which they may need assistance.

We as a nation have overcome great obstacles in the past and although the challenges that lie ahead of us as community, as a state, and as a nation are great, we will overcome them as our resilience as individuals, as a community and as a nation will allow us to prevail.

May all of you and your loved ones be safe and well .

Larkin, Ingrassia & Tepermayster, LLP

Should you have any questions please feel free to contact us at 845-566-5345

For more information regarding the COVID-19 virus please visit any of the following sites:

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

NYS Department of Health

Orange County Dept. of Health

Ulster County Dept. of Health

For information and updates regarding court postponements or closings please visit:

NYS Unified Court System

9th Judicial District

3rd Judicial District