Your case matters. We commit our full resources and attention to a successful result.

How can I enforce a child custody order?

The issue of child custody is one that can cause quite a few problems between parents in New York and elsewhere. There are times when a non-custodial parent will not agree with what is ordered by the court. Unfortunately, it is not terribly uncommon for a non-custodial parent to defy a custody order, leaving the custodial parent to wonder: How can I enforce a child custody order?

A custody order is granted based on what the court believes is in the best interests of the child. Sadly, parents do not always agree or something may happen that causes them to ignore the court’s orders. When this occurs, the custodial parent can seek assistance in having his or her child or children returned to his or her care.

Sometimes, extraordinary measures are taken in order for this to be achieved. Police are, on occasion, asked to get involved and retrieve the child. Along with seeking assistance from authorities, custodial parents can seek help from the court as well. Petitions can be filed and hearings held to allow a judge to determine if changes to existing orders are necessary or if sanctions need to be imposed against the non-custodial parent.

This, of course, can go the other way, as well. Non-custodial parents can also seek assistance if custodial parents are refusing to grant ordered vis itation time. In either case, parents in New York do have options when needing help enforcing child custody orders. Legal assistance is available to help pursue any and all options, until the best custody arrangement is achieved.

Source: nycourts.gov, “NY City Family Court — Custody & Vis itation FAQs: What Happens If One Side Interferes with the Custody or Vis itation That Was Ordered by the Court?”, Accessed on Nov. 3, 2015

Important Information

COVID-19 (Novel Corona Virus)  Update 3-20-2020

By order of Governor Andrew Cuomo, beginning 3-22-2020, all non-essential business in New York state must close their physical offices in response to the rapid rate of positive reported cases of COVID-19 in New York State.

Although this will impact the in office and in person services that LIT can provide, we will still be working remotely from our homes to serve our existing clients and we will continue to serve the public on a remote basis with any new legal matters for which they may need assistance.

We as a nation have overcome great obstacles in the past and although the challenges that lie ahead of us as community, as a state, and as a nation are great, we will overcome them as our resilience as individuals, as a community and as a nation will allow us to prevail.

May all of you and your loved ones be safe and well .

Larkin, Ingrassia & Tepermayster, LLP

Should you have any questions please feel free to contact us at 845-566-5345

For more information regarding the COVID-19 virus please visit any of the following sites:

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

NYS Department of Health

Orange County Dept. of Health

Ulster County Dept. of Health

For information and updates regarding court postponements or closings please visit:

NYS Unified Court System

9th Judicial District

3rd Judicial District