Your case matters. We commit our full resources and attention to a successful result.

Help with out-of-state or out-of-country child support issues

After a couple separates, it is not uncommon for one party to move out of state or out of the country in order to start fresh, for new relationships or for employment purposes. This, however, can make dealing with child support issues seem extremely difficult. When a noncustodial parent does leave New York, what can the custodial parent do to obtain and/or enforce a support order?

In accordance with federal mandates, the ability to enforce child support orders across borders is improving. Custodial parents can work with the child support agencies in noncustodial parents’ new jurisdictions in their efforts to enforce existing orders. This can be a fairly uncomplicated process when dealing with other states, but may seem a little more difficult to deal with if the noncustodial parent has moved to another country. The U.S. government and many state agencies have made agreements with numerous countries, allowing for the establishment and enforcing of child support orders.

Seeking a new order of support when the noncustodial parent moves from the state can certainly feel frustrating. While it may take more time to obtain such an order, it is possible to achieve by working with the new jurisdiction’s support agency or government. Patience and persistence are often key in this process.

At the end of the day, ensuring that the basic needs of children are met is the most important thing, and fighting to achieve support can be well worth the time and effort. Custodial parents in New York can seek help when dealing child support problems in another state or internationally. Legal counsel may be able to assist in not only petitioning for new orders of support, but also with enforcement issues.

Source: acf.hhs.gov, “Child Support Handbook: Working Across Borders”, Accessed on Aug. 26, 2015